Course Code: hsts-c31
This course provides students hands on experience with cutting edge Java Enterprise (Java EE) technologies, creating dynamic web and enterprise applications that utilize several Java frameworks and technologies including JSP's and Servlets, Java Persistence API (JPA), JNDI, JDBC, AJAX, Web Services, Spring and Hibernate. The goal is to enable students to exploit the Java EE platform and accompanying frameworks to facilitate the development of distributed, web-enabled applications.
Students will architectural design issues as well as specific coding models for a variety of Java EE components. By working with several Java frameworks in hands on labs, students will build applications that incorporate many of the patterns commonly used in these and other Java frameworks. Upon completion of the course, students should be able to learn and effectively utilize frameworks appropriate for their application environment.
Starting with Java Server Pages and Servlets, the course then introduces some of the most widely used frameworks to provide concrete illustrations of the services available. Since coding and deployment files are standardized by the Java EE specifications, students may readily apply the skills learned in this class to write code for any compliant server, including Apache Tomcat, JBoss, WebSphere, Oracle, WebLogic and many others.
Students will learn how to utilize ANT, a flexible and powerful XML-based build utility, to compile, deploy and execute stand-alone and enterprise Java applications. They will also use ANT to execute standalone client applications that communicate with Java EE applications. Comprehensive hands on exercises are integrated throughout to reinforce learning and develop real competency.
Students who wish to focus more in-depth on Spring and Hibernate should attend the course Web Application Development Using Spring, Hibernate and JPA rather than this course.
You will learn:
- Java Web application architecture
- Developing servlets and JSPs
- Consuming Web services
- Creating and deploying SOAP based and RESTful Web services
- Using JavaBeans in Web Applications
- Accessing databases with JDBC
- Importing and Utilizing JNDI Packages
- Utilizing the Spring dependency injection framework
- Managing database operations by using the Hibernate framework
- Building Web applications by using the Spring MVC framework
- Managing database transactions with Spring and Hibernate
- Effectively integrating Spring and Hibernate
- Integrating, testing and debugging AJAX functionality on both the client and server sides
- Working with the JSON data format
SQL Programming and DB Management
Learn the Fundamentals of UNIX and Linux